Did you know 1 in 10 women of childbearing age have PCOS?
PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and it is a common health problem caused by an imbalance of reproductive hormones.
The cause of polycystic ovary syndrome isn’t well understood, but may involve a combination of genetic and environmental factors. The hormonal imbalance creates problems in the ovaries. The ovaries make the egg that is released each month as part of a healthy menstrual cycle. With PCOS, the egg may not develop as it should or it may not be released during ovulation as it should be.
PCOS can cause missed or irregular menstrual periods. Irregular periods can lead to:
- Infertility (inability to get pregnant). In fact, PCOS is one of the most common causes of infertility in women.
- Development of cysts (small fluid-filled sacs) in the ovaries
Two important micronutrients that can help women with PCOS are Magnesium and Vitamin D.
- Magnesium helps with insulin resistance, reduce inflammation, and ease PMS symptoms. It can help Improve your mood and decrease migraines.
- Vitamin D can lower abnormally elevated serum (AMH) and increase anti-inflammatory receptors in women with Vitamin D deficient with PCOS. It can help with depression, improve insulin, triglycerides, and can help improve fertility.
What’s the most modern brunch menu item? You guessed it – Avocado Toast! Today we wanted to share with you a recipe that is high in both Magnesium and Vitamin D that can help women with PCOS. We’re adding smoked salmon to the avocado toast to help increase the Vitamin D in this recipe!
- Dave’s Killer Bread, Thin-Sliced Sprouted Whole Grains
- Sliced Avocado
- Roasted, Salted Pumpkin Seeds
- Smoked Salmon (we used HEB Brand, you can find it in your local grocery’s seafood section)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Toast one slice of Dave’s Killer Thin-Sliced Bread in a toaster or oven. Half the avocado and cut into slices, then lay on top of the toast. Open the Smoked Salmon package and layer the slices of salmon on top of the avocado. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with roasted, salted pumpkin seeds.
Below are the nutrition facts if you were to measure each of the ingredients out (i.e. if you’re tracking your macros and measuring each individual ingredient out) and account for the following measurements of the ingredients (1 Slice of Smoked Salmon & Avocado Toast):
- 1 slice of Dave’s Killer Bread, Thin-Sliced Sprouted Whole Grains
- 40g of Sliced Avocado
- 5g of Roasted, Salted Pumpkin Seeds
- 2oz of Smoked Salmon (we used HEB Brand, you can find it in your local grocery’s seafood section)
- ⅓ tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
263 Calories | 17g Protein | 19g Carbs | 15g Fat | 5g Fiber | 3g Sugar
*Should you change any of the measurements above, the nutritional facts above will also change.
If you have PCOS, try adding some of these items to your daily nutrition to help! Below are more foods that are high in Magnesium and Vitamin D.
High in Magnesium
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Whole Grain Breads
- Dark Chocolate
High in Vitamin D
- Canned tuna
- Egg yolk
- Orange Juice
- Low-fat milks
- Soy milk
- Pork Chops