Lasagna is one of our favorite comfort foods, but any traditional lasagna recipe packs a HUGE caloric punch and therefore it typically only gets enjoyed on special occasions.
Well, not anymore!
With our lower cal take on this favorite, we can easily incorporate it into our meal planning MUCH more often!
- 1lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 12 Lasagna Noodles
- 1- 16oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove – minced
- 1 onion – diced
- 225g mushrooms – chopped
- 100g zucchini – diced
- 4 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can tomato paste
- 300g Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 400 mL Unsweetened Cashew or Almond Milk
- 80g Low Fat Butter
- 40g Plain Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray pan with non-stick oil and saute minced garlic & diced onion until onion is translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook ground beef in a pan until lightly browned, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add zucchini, basil, italian seasoning, salt and pepper to pan and continue to cook mixture stirring occasionally until ground beef is browned through and veggies are cooked to desired tenderness.
- Add can of diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir mixture thoroughly and let simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- While the beef mixture simmers, prepare the white sauce. Add low fat butterto a medium size saucepan and allow to melt over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir, creating a paste. Slowly, add the milk 100mL at a time, stirring constantly to prevent clumping. Once the sauce is a consistency you like, remove from heat.
- Add half of the beef mixture to a large baking dish. Next, place 6 of the lasagna sheets on top of the beef mixture & pour half of the white sauce on top. Spread it evenly over the noodles & beef using the back of a spoon. Repeat this by adding the remaining beef mixture topped with lasagna noodles and remaining sauce.
- After evenly spreading the sauce with the back of a spoon, top with ricotta cheese. Again, use the back of a spoon to evenly distribute the ricotta cheese making sure all of the lasagna noodles are covered.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes
SERVING: 1(of 6),
CALORIES: 441 | PROTEIN: 31.9g | CARBOHYDRATES: 51g | FAT: 14.6 | FIBER: 6g | SUGAR: 11g
**The above nutrition will vary as this recipe is modified.